Which video editing program is better to use for video editing, Final Cut Pro X or Sony Vegas?
Here I list some questionnaire from Final Cut Pro users and Sony Vegas users:
Final Cut Pro users Thoughts
- Lots of wiz-bang. You can create some really slick stuff in a hurry (after learning the program) and you get a lot of help via templates.
- Motion is really cool.
- You need a strong, fast, computer and hardware to make FCP get off the ground well, (can you say money).
- Some task that should be quite simple are not. Vegas kicks butt in this area.
- FCP is a bit closed. It does not like to play with other editing system formats.
- Many times you have to do a render before you can preview.
- This drives me crazy.
Sony Vegas users Thoughts:
- Simple to use compared to other editing systems including FCP. Very good preview rates when used with a fast computer. PC’s are less expensive than Macs.
- You can play a whole lot many different formats of audio and video files from the Vegas timeline.
- You can mix and match diffrent types of files and formats on the Vegas timeline without a render step as in FCP.
- Vegas has some really strong pan/crop and compositing tools.
- Vegas has scripting featuure which can automate certain task for you saving much time and effort.
- Simply the best audio toolset of any editing software.
- Vegas 8 Pro Multicam tool is way better than FCP’s.
- You can cut a project very quickly in Vegas.
- Weak spot, not a lot of templates for the wiz-bang.
- You have to learn how to create it yourself.
As some of respondents tell me that they like Vegas a lot while others also like FCP.
If you will be working with Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas you have the money and time to learn Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas that might be the way to go. If you want a very easy way to edit the video clips in Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas that is more affordable and much easier to use, here a professional tool —Pavtube Video Converter / Mac Version(read the review) is highly recommended to you.
Since Final Cut Pro works with Prores Codec, a line of intermediate codec, which is intended for use during video editing with impressive image quality and perfect editing performance. For Sony Vegas, it preferable editing formats is AVI, WMV, MPEG-2, MOV etc.
To output Apple Prores codec for Final Cut Pro or preferable MPEG-2 for Sony Vegas, you can download Pavtube Video Converter, which is capable of converting HD footages generated by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, and JVC, etc. to Final Cut Pro most preferable Apple Prores codec or Sony Vegas preferable AVI, WMV, MPEG-2, MOV etc. With it, I think edit projects will be more enjoyable and you do not need to worry about it.
More Smoothly Edit Video in Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas
First, start the program on your computer, add source video files to the program by clicking the “Add Video” or “Add folder” button. This program can also support the batch video clips.
Second, choose preferable format to output.
For Final Cut Pro, from “Format” drop-down option, choose “Final Cut Pro”> “Apple Prores 422(*.mov)” as output format. To output higher quality video, it is ideal for you to output “Apple Prores 422(*.mov)” or “Apple Prores 422(HQ)(*.mov)” format. To output small size video, choose Apple Prores 422(LT)(*.mov) or Apple Prores 422(Proxy)(*.mov) format.
For Sony Vegas, from “Format” drop-down list, select to out “Adobe Premiere/Sony… “> “MPEG-2 (*.mpg)” format for editing with Sony Vegas.
Finally, press right-bottom conversion button to start source footage to Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas Pro conversion process.
When the conversion is complete, you can easily import converted videos to Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas Pro for professional editing.